This post may contain affiliate links. We may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase.
Raspberry Pi 3 as a complete Kodi ( XBMC) entertainment center solution with the right accessories.
OpenELEC is built from the ground up to explicitly include only the bare minimum of what is required. Kodi Live starts from a full Linux distribution and pars down from there, meaning your install contains large amounts of content you don’t actually need. Also, OpenELEC is an appliance – meaning trivial system wide updates including Kodi. Live requires Linux knowledge and time to maintain. OpenELEC maintains itself automatically.
Download the following software.
Components you will need for optimal performance
To complete this tutorial, you will need to buy the following components
- Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Motherboard
- Official Raspberry Pi 3 Case – Black/Grey
- USB 2.0 A-Male to Micro B Cable – 3 Feet
- Ethernet cable
- HDMI cable
- Micro SD memory card (16GB)
- Micro USB power adapter
- Mini C120 2.4GHz Wireless 6-Axis Gyroscope
- Amazon C120 2.4GHz Air Fly Mouse Wireless
Comple Starter Kit
- Vilros Raspberry Pi 3 Complete Starter Kit — Black Case 16GB Edition
You can also unlock MPEG-2 and VC-1 hardware decoding by purchasing a license from the VC-1 license key, MPEG-2 license key
What is the SSH login?
Currently the login into OpenELEC has fixed settings.
Login: root Password: openelec
Note that these values are case-sensitive.